Keeping teeth healthy, strong and beautiful has a lot to do with our usual dental hygiene habits, but also with the type of food we follow. Well, within this, we can find foods that, by containing certain vitamins and minerals, favor oral health and are excellent for protecting the teeth against the agents that cause the formation of plaque. If you want to know what they are and make sure that you are taking care of your mouth correctly, keep reading this article:
Steps to follow:
- Among the foods that strengthen the teeth and help keep them healthier, we find some dairy products such as milk, cheese or natural yogurt. All of them contain a significant amount of calcium, which is an essential mineral both to ensure that the teeth stay strong over time and prevent them from staining excessively. In addition, calcium is a nutrient that also helps prevent periodontitis, an oral disease that affects the ligaments and bones that hold the teeth.
- Some green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach and chard also provide large amounts of calcium, so they are good options to have strong teeth and in perfect condition. They are foods that must be chewed many times before ingesting them, which makes them perfect allies as well to exercise the jaw and strengthen the gums. The same happens if we chew raw vegetables such as carrots or celery, both are very good to promote oral cleaning and maintain healthy gums.
- For the body to properly absorb calcium from the food we consume, it is necessary to have a good supply of vitamin D. In this way, you will also favor the health of your teeth if you include in your diet foods rich in this nutrient such as salmon or tuna, two very healthy blue fish due to its high content of omega 3, an essential fatty acid to protect the heart and ensure its proper functioning.
- Health experts say that eating an apple a day is very beneficial for our heart, but this fruit is also perfect for oral health. Chewing an apple allows to strengthen the teeth but not only that, it is a great food that helps to polish the teeth and the gums, obtaining as a result whiter teeth and much fresher breath. If you want to know what other ingredients can help you have a prettier and brighter smile, do not miss the article Foods whitening teeth.
- In the food group of fruits strawberry also stands out as one of the best foods to strengthen teeth. This is because it contains a good dose of vitamin C, which stimulates the production of collagen which is an essential protein to maintain strong and resistant bones and ligaments that support all the teeth. In addition, the strawberry contains malic acid which is a natural enzyme that protects the natural color of the teeth.
- Apart from these foods, we must not forget the importance of drinking plenty of water for oral health. It is a liquid that keeps the oral cavity clean, eliminating all those residues that are accumulated in the teeth and gums and, above all, has a mineral that prevents teeth from eroding easily.
- To enjoy perfect oral health, not only should you look at aspects of your diet, but it will also be important that you take care of dental hygiene every day and go to the dentist on a regular basis.
Do not forget to brush your teeth after each meal, floss, use a fluoride mouthwash and perform a professional oral cleaning at least once a year. The latter will help to eliminate all tartar and plaque that cannot be removed with daily brushing and will prevent the formation of cavities and the appearance of other problems.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We advise you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles that are similar to foods that strengthen your teeth, we recommend you to visit our category of Family Health.