As the meaning of the word healthy describes “possessing or enjoying good health or a sound and vigorous mentality: a healthy body; a healthy mind. A healthy appearance; healthy attitudes. Conducive to good health; healthful: healthy recreations”, let us put this into practice and challenge ourselves to live it to the fullest in our homes and lives. Authority Health is great when it comes to giving advice and guidance, especially in this area. Below are some ways in which you can promote a healthy lifestyle for you and your family.
Have Nutritious Foods Available At All Times
It is essential to ensure that your family is getting proper nutrition, especially if you have growing children. Teaching your family what these foods are and having them readily available is a perfect choice. Unhealthy fast-foods will only expose your family to different kinds of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Follow these simple guidelines of the recommended daily amounts the body needs:
- Eat 1-2 servings of brown bread or whole grains, like rice, pasta, tortillas, or cereal.
- Eat 2-3 servings of dairy products like milk, butter, yogurt, or cheese.
- Eat 2-3 servings of protein like nuts, meat, fish, beans, or eggs.
- Eat 2-4 servings of fruits, like apples, peaches, mangos, bananas, or fruit juice.
- Eat 3-5 servings of vegetables, like tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, or peas.
Foods and drinks to cut down on are:
- Junk food
- Fried chips
A Healthy Family Needs To Stay Active
You need to find some time to stay active, even if it is only for 30 minutes three times per week. Find some “fun” activities you can do together as a family such as riding your bikes, playing football, swimming, taking a walk in the park or jogging. The benefits of staying active do not only provide time together for the family but also has the following benefits:
- Prevents depression
- Strengthens your ability to fight off illness
- Helps maintain a healthy body weight
- You may live longer and feel better
- Be stronger and more flexible
- Build strong bones
Apply Safe Living Habits
Accidents in the home are the cause of thousands of permanent injuries every year. Accidents and injuries among children are the fifth leading cause of death in the US. The most common accidents are drownings, fires, and falls. Do your best to try and prevent these accidents, and follow these easy steps:
- Install smoke detectors and keep all fires and heaters well guarded and away from curtains and furniture.
- Make sure all wiring that has been installed is checked every few years and avoid using appliances that have worn or damaged flexes.
- Make sure that the whole family is able to swim and that you have a pool cover when the pool is not in use, especially if you have small children.
Apply Safe Driving Habits
- Keep your family safe while driving by wearing seatbelts.
- Children under 60 pounds should be kept in an appropriate car seat.
- If someone has been drinking, do not ride with them.
- Always wear a helmet and safety gear when riding a motorcycle or bicycle.
Acquire Regular Health Care
Get yourself and your family immunized against life-threatening illnesses. Go for regular health check-ups, you do not only need to go to your doctor when you are sick. Your doctor is an expert at preventing illnesses and may treat you appropriately to prevent these illnesses.
Maintain A Healthy Mind
Being in a good state of mind is vital for the body and for every aspect of your life. You need to make decisions continuously throughout your life and those decisions affect everyone around you. Here are some easy steps you may take to keep the mind healthy:
- Get enough sleep, being sleepy and tired reduces your concentration, increases mood swings, and increases irritability.
- Make sure to have some fun, laugh as much as you can, spend time with people that have a positive effect on your mood and avoid those that don’t. Make time to be happy.
- Talk to your doctor if you have signs of depression or if you are feeling anxious for some reason or another, sometimes life throws a blow which might lead to these feelings.
Keep Your Mind And Body Free From Harmful Drugs And Alcohol
Tobacco causes health problems and is the most addictive, and used most extensively. Cutting down or stopping the use of tobacco can save your health and save your money.
Too much alcohol is definitely dangerous to you and those around you, causing liver damage, fetal alcohol syndrome, broken homes, and unnecessary accidents. If you feel you are no longer in control when it comes to alcohol, get some help!
Street drugs like marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or pain pills (not prescribed for you) are dangerous to your health. If you are using street drugs and you feel it is destroying your life and would like to stop but are having difficulty, talk to your health care provider or a family member to get you the help you need.