When you are on the ketogenic diet and you struggle to lose weight and meet your goals, it can often seem that the easiest option is just to give up hope. However, with our guide you do not have to lose hope. Here we have put together a guide of all the foods you can eat and several hacks that will help you meet your goals. Authority Health is great, if you are looking for a resource for more health hacks and keto tips.
Table of Contents
Quick Guide To The Keto Diet
When you are just starting out on the ketogenic diet, it can be really confusing. Here is a quick guide to the foods that you can eat while on this diet.
Proteins, especially meat are a great option on the Keto diet. Here are a few excellent sources of protein, which you should consider adding to your diet:
Fish is another great option clean eating on the Keto plan. Although all kinds of fish are great for you, oily fish is especially high in omega 3’s.
When you are on the keto diet you are able to eat a limited amount of fruits, they make an excellent snack for when you are craving something a little sweet. However, you should always remember that berries could only be eaten in moderation.
Vegetables are a great addition to any meal. Additionally, veggies are a great source of a variety of key vitamins and minerals that keep your body healthy. Just keep in mind that you should avoid all starchy vegetables.
- Brussels sprouts
When you choose dairy products when you are on the keto diet, it is best to choose full fat options. Full fat dairy does not contain any added sugars as some low fat dairy products do.
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
Fats are a great addition to any Keto Diet. You can use these fats to cook your food in and also as a topping for salads.
- Avocado Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
We all enjoy a baked treat every now and then. Here are a few types of flour that you can use to whip up a baked treat.
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Flaxseed Meal
- Xanthium Gum
When you bake, you need to sweeten your baked treat. However, on the keto diet you cannot use sugar. Here are a few sweeteners to try out. Just keep in mind that the use of Xylitol can cause digestive distress in individuals who suffer from sensitivity to sugar alcohols.
Nuts And Seeds
When you are on the keto diet, it can be really difficult to come up with ideas for snacks. This is where nuts and seeds come into play. Grab a handful of nuts when you need to run out of the front door in a hurry.
- Pine nuts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Remember that if you want to lose weight successfully on the ketogenic diet you need to cut out carbs. The aim is to consume less than 25 grams of carbs in a day.
- Do not obsess over calories. On the keto diet, it is not necessarily the amount of calories that you consume that impacts your weight loss.
- Sometimes your body needs a little time before it goes into a state of ketosis where you lose weight.
- You need to make sure that you are eating enough protein every day. If you are not eating enough protein, you will begin to lose some of your valuable lean muscle tissue.
- Fats are good. On a keto diet, you need to be eating a lot of fat. This goes against how most of us have eaten all our lives. Even though it may feel strange, eating adequate amounts of fat will ensure you feel full and help avoid carb cravings.
- Everyone is different so make sure not to compare yourself to others.