Millions of people around the world suffer from common vision problems, such as astigmatism, myopia, and hyperopia. In common language, most people tend to refer to such conditions as short-sightedness and long-sightedness. While many people wear glasses, LASIK surgery has the potential to correct such common vision problems permanently.
How to Know if You Have a Vision Problem?
While many people regularly see their local optometrist, there are many who simply ignore their vision problems, or don’t even know they have a problem in the first place. Here are some signs that you may be suffering from a vision problem:
- You suffer headaches or migraines after work or school due to straining to read text or look at a computer screen.
- You have trouble reading restaurant or café menus because the writing seems blurry.
- You find that you are squinting a lot to read things that everyone else seems to be able read clearly.
It is essential to look for these sorts of signs and symptoms especially in children.
What Can LASIK Do for You?
The cornea of the eye is what many people commonly refer to as the lens. This curved transparent tissue allows light to enter the eye, but in some people it is curved the wrong way. These often minor imperfections in the curvature of the cornea cause problems like astigmatism, short-sightedness, and long-sightedness. In these conditions, the deformed cornea bends rays of light in a way that causes a vision problem. LASIK surgery can correct these problems.
During the LASIK procedure, a small surgical laser beam is angled very precisely at the cornea in order to correct the distortion and restore normal or close to normal vision. Many people with common vision problems are eligible for LASIK surgery, and it is a good idea to look for a trusted eye centre in Singapore and make an appointment.
The Benefits of the LASIK Procedure
Eye surgeries have improved dramatically in recent decades, and LASIK has become a popular treatment for common vision problems. The LASIK eye procedure offers the following benefits:
- A high rate of success, based on evidence from many eye clinics around the world.
- Faster recovery times that are not painful and cause very little physical discomfort.
- A procedure that can be done in a single session.
- Glasses and contacts are usually not needed any longer by the patient that has undergone the LASIK procedure.
- If adjustments are required years later, they can usually be done.
For many people around the world, LASIK eye surgery offers them hope that they can experience normal or close to normal vision. In this context, it is an amazing advancement in optical health.